mercoledì 3 aprile 2013

Nilay Karasulu: the thing is never changed about my djstyle , believe that my main aim is to keep the all dancers on floor.If the dancers leave with smile on their faces,this is success for me.





Our journey through the great tangoed arrive us in Turkey. This time we meet Nilay Karasulu, an emerging talent. Nilay offers only music dedicated to the milonga, selected for dancers, with great energy. Like Nilay says: " the DJ's main mission is raising the energy and motivation of all dancers.I always follow the dancers and try to connect them..see your responses when they are listening the music.Honestly DJ is the very important part of milonga and DJ can change the night's energy with his /her choises". Holy words. Well, then read this interesting interview.

From the beginning : I suppose that your first approach with tango, like for other dj, was with the dance. What inspired you to get into console and play music? A conscious decision or was the result of chance?
Actually I started dancing tango 7 years ago and at that times just focused on dancing and not realised what I listen :) Ryhtm sense improved with my dancing together and then have started to collect tango tracks,songs,albums...listen them regularly and collect the my favourite ones in seperate files.In the meantime I read lots of information about tango DJing and also got some seminars how I do this in properly.Discuss the all of things related with tango music with DJs in Turkey.But I have learnt that the first rule is listen..listen...listen...! If you well know the orchestras,songs...it is very easy to make tandas.
I am very very fresh DJ and being this just for 2 years , still learning ...!Two years ago on one night I went to milonga and did not like the music,thought that I can make it better one...and it was the time to decide starting.I was very excited at my first time and my hands were shaking:)Thanks God everything was good except little mischances !!At the end of the night all of the responses/feedbackes are better than I expected...I can not describe my feelings, I was very very happy:)

What were your early taste of tango? There are significant differences with the current scene?
Do you remember your first like tango dj?
My first touch with tango music was happened on Tango classes through Carlos Di Sarli as usual :) Actually on that times I liked to dance with his songs also listen them..he was my hero, still he is a maestro...but now I have lots of hero :) Really lots of things are changed and now I am getting differents tastes from each of the orchestra.Additionally on that times the nuevo music was very very popular and we loved to listen them and also dance with new orchestras.

The difficulty of the search for songs on cd often burned, the explosion of the Web and the consequent relatively easy to find in the music. Do you think this paradigm shift has changed the way of working of the DJ?
Sure! Now it is very easy to reach the all of the tango musics from internet.So also it is very easy to build your tango music collection.But the most important point that should not be forgotten, unfortunatelly having  large music collection means not being good DJ ;) I always say that do what is right , not what it is easy!

When you build your performance? Long ago, during the journey to the milonga, or sudden moment by moment?
As I said on first question ,I spend more more more time for listening the music like other DJs.I listen the tango music at my office , on bus, at home, when cleaning my home  :) ,still everywhere I listen the music...So before milonga if I know the community,place...etc , just prepare the draft list with optional tandas together.And when I start to play music ,especially on first 4 tandas I try to connect with the dancers.According to their energy , I make some changing on my list.I trust my feelings and till now always it works ;) My first mission is to invite the all dancers to dancefloor and keep them there till end of night as far as I can.If I perform DJing somewhere on first time, I follow the same way but just make hot trail with dancers.If the all dancers leave with smile on their faces end of the night,it means my choises are made them happy! It is very big pleasure for me!

Have you ever played in a boring night? Have you you understand too late that perhaps the milonga could not give you the right motivation and you could not wait to finish?
Sometimes the dancer's energy is very low and it is effected me in negative way...but believe that the DJ's main mission is raising the energy and motivation of all dancers.I always follow the dancers and try to connect them..see your responses when they are listening the music.Honestly DJ is the very important part of milonga and DJ can change the night's energy with his /her choises.

Do you accept whatever you offer or try to make a selection preferring location and fascinating evening with friends?
I am very fresh DJ and in general I accept the all offers for DJing...each performance teach me lots of things and  have fun each of them.I am easy going DJ and I am open for all offers :)

 How would you define your style? It has evolved over time? And in which direction? What can influence you in an evening, the audience, the dancers, the acoustics of the location, the duration of your performance ...
It is very difficult to describe my style in one word, because I look at my DJing journey from beginning till now my style is changed , still continue to change...effected by new knowledges,performances,other DJs..etc.But the thing is never changed , believe that my main aim is to keep the all dancers on floor.To achieve it follow the dancers,check the location..etc and change the tandas,orchestras line up.If the dancers leave with smile on their faces,this is success for me:)

Do you prefer playing alone or sharing the night with a / colleague. Generally prefer to work alone, or with friends who you feeling? Or, you love the thrill of experimenting with a colleague ever heard until then?
In general I play the music alone at milongas but some festivals share the night with other DJs,and it is really fun for me:)

If someone asks you the name of a track you say it to him, perhaps suggesting where the CD is included, or invite him to venture into the trouble of searching?
Alwaysssss I tell what they want to know about track,song,singer...etc..also if they'd like to copy it ( not for all my record,just the liked one :) )I wellcome to give it.I still ask the some tracks from my DJ friends ;)

The public bother you with absurd requests: what do you do? Are you a jukebox?
Sometimes people request me to play some songs, if it is logical to night's inflow and most important thing is I well know the track ,I add it to my list on right place on right time.Since not prepare the all list before milonga, I am very flexible to change the tandas and songs in any time.

Do you like to dance and listen to your colleagues enjoy the selections and styles of others from your performances?
In Turkey there are very very good DJs and I like to listen them and also dance.If there is any problem to say his name here, my favourite DJ is Omer Bayraktar...I love to listen him and also talk about tango music.

Do you believe that the art of "musicalizador" is different for geographic areas? Argentina, USA, Northern Europe, Eastern Europe, the Mediterranean ... or is it similar in every countries?
Off course it is different for geographic areas...in same geographical area it is also different as per DJs.I think the most important thing is to connect with the dancers and to keep them on floor till end of night...this rule never changed :) and on each country if you succes this , both of DJ and dancers are happy:)

Would you like to have a milonga just for you, furnish it with the appropriate facility to your desires, try to create a wave that satisfies you over to play when you want and create a calendar of events to measure your tastes?
Yes,of course I would...no border on my imagination :) It would be very nice to have my own milonga that prepare the all details...but I think that it means lots of work :) I am very happy to attend my friend's milonga and being DJ;)

The classic point-blank questions you have to answer, you cannot refuse:
Three orchestras that can not miss in one evening
Three is not enoughh:(
-Canaro
-Carlos Di Sarli
-D'arienzo

Your three favourite orchestras, which may also be different from the previous ones.
I like Donato,D'arienzo,D'Angelis

Suggest a tanda of tango instrumental, a tanda of tango singer, one of vals and milonga.
Tango instrumental:
*Alfredo D'Angelis
Pavadita
Mi dolor
La Mariposa
Nuevo de julio

Tango with singer:
*Fransisco Lumuto y su Orq.Tipica
Nostalgias
Quiero verte una vez mas
Madreselva
La melodia de nuestro adios

Vals
-Salud,dinero y amor-Francisco amor / Canaro (Cuartito azul)
-La Tapera/Donato
-Pobre flor/Angelis

Milonga
-Sacale punta/Donato
-Silueta Portena/Canaro
-La punalada/Fresedo

What are the three bands or singers you can not stand?
-Florindo Sassone
-Juilo Sosa

What is the band most underrated by the general public and which is the most overrated?
It seems the nuevo songs ,electronic tango based song liked by dancers...so the new orchestras like sexteto milonguero and color tango are overrated.The underrated ones are changed...for me if I dont play them, they are underrated:)

Your top three nights (in your opinion of course ...)
I am at the beginning of the my DJ ing journey so I have no more expeirences.But the the unforgettable nights are : My first DJing performance , and DJing at Tango Fusion/izmir

We are less serious: Last night a dj saved my life. The DJ rule is sexy? have you ever had a relationship with some fans and some flirt with your colleagues?
No..nooo..noooo :) I just have a relationship with Tango music and the dance floor:))

Nessun commento: